Monday, November 4

Stop romanticising self-hate

I don't know if it's age, or cynicism, or lethargy, but I just have to point this out: People need to stop living as though their life were a movie. I think you've seen one too many movies, and not the good ones either. You buy in to the whole We accept the love we think we deserve, I'm such an awkward school girl a cool handsome boy is bound to fall in love with me, I'm not good enough for you but you should think I'm good enough for you. All the clichés in all these movies reinforcing the idea that if you wait and victimise yourself your knight in shining armour will come and rescue you. Dude. Dude. I'm sorry but John Green is not the author of your life. 

Stop treating yourself like an empty vase. Stop waiting for someone to come and fill you up and tell you you are pretty. Stop romanticising self-hate and victimisation. Why are you waiting for someone to touch your heart before it can beat again? Has it not been beating all this time? You wake up alone, you go to bed alone, you were fine. Since when did you feel incomplete without having someone warm up the other side of the bed for you? Dude. Look at all the space. Don't hate. Appreciate. When did you feel the need to have someone around all the time? You were not like that before. You were solid. But somewhere along John Green novels (sorry I really don't get his books, he's a cool person though) and sappy "awkward"-girl-gets-the-guy romcoms you started to empty yourself. You emptied yourself of your personality, of your character, of your humour. And now you go searching for that one person to return these traits to you. 

There is no DCFC soundtrack playing in the background as you go about your daily activities. No audience to root for you and your one true love. No perfect lighting for when your perfect dude catches you off guard but you actually look pretty amazing. I'm not trying to blame girls (or guys) for the way they mope and all but take some responsibility, take some control over your life. If you are a wreck, clean up your act (oh take a look at me rhyming oh so witty ooh so sharp). I'm sick of seeing girls mope and feel sorry for themselves. It is okay to go through this spectrum of emotions and feel and stuff. It is natural to feel things and feel shitty. But don't let that define who you are, please. Even terrible movies change scenes. Stop clinging on to your sad frames. You're an amazing person regardless of who is around you.

If you want to treat your life as if it were a movie, please. Pick a better genre. I suggest Edgar Wright comedies. Or Wes Anderson (maybe exclude Moonrise Kingdom). Be careful which Wes you pick though because Wes Craven would be cool but you'd end up dead or in jail.