Thursday, January 21

I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my nose)

I've come to realise how much I take things for granted. Things like working power sockets, grocery stores that have exactly what I want when I want, and most importantly, the freedom to leave home whenever I wish. It gets dark really quickly here and street lights are few. I realise that the last time I was here and the past few days I've spent during this trip, I was either in the clinic, in the house, or in the car. We took a tiny walk to the Chinese grocer at 6 in the evening and it was so dark, we passed three homeless people sleeping on the pavement, and the streets literally smelled like piss. I admit that I am spoiled and I haven't seen very much outside of our first world city or tourist destinations. I do miss fresh air. 

I remember how much I hated to breathe in Hong Kong because there were smokers everywhere. It was almost impossible to catch a clean breath. It's kinda the same here. It either always smells of oil, or meat, or piss, or fumes. You grow up in a place and you get used to a smell. Ah Loke probably understands this the best, her sense of smell is like a dog's (lol). But the sense of smell is so different from the rest of the senses, I've always believed. It locks in people, places, memories. It's like when you've broken up with a guy for months and you're finally getting over him, but then you smell his cologne in a crowd and it jolts you back to where you last placed him in your memory. Or like when you're all grown up and you smell your grandma's cooking, that one special dish she used to cook for you when you were little and returned home from school for lunch. 

The things that keep me a little closer to home is this leave-on conditioner that Giselle got me. Whether I'm in HK or Mexico or just crashing at someone's place, it gives me a sense of normalcy, of something constant. My Kiehl's face wash also reminds me of home. It also reminds me of Daph and Wends and OJK because they're all loyal customers too hahaha. I also brought over my MUJI neck rest because it smells a little like me, when I'm covered in someone else's bedsheets I still smell a little bit like my own room. It is starting to smell like Oliver, the house toy poodle, though. 

I never pegged myself as the sentimental sort. But only a day shy of a week away from home and I'm trying to hold on to every little piece of home. I don't know if it's because I'm trying to prep myself for the long haul (only two months tho I lame), or because I'm here without any good company from home (I always traveled with friends or the sister). or simply because I am that sentimental. 

Torn between a new read or something I've read before, just because. Anyway, all your snaps make me so much happier. I love you guys <3