What is terrifying is this. A notorious film, no matter how gruesome and disturbing, will always be a polished, censored version of reality. I never like the heroes. Always the villains. They have the deepest stories, them saddest characters. I'm truly fascinated with murders, not because of the blood and gore, but because of the thoughts that go through a criminal's head. How many realities exist in our world? How many can one man create or keep suppressed? I once told a friend that my personal opinion is that we are all animals and it is natural to kill. But we have this thing, this thought, this moral compass in us that always nudges us in a different direction. We suppress what we think is wrong and tune our minds to think and do what is right. It's like that famous story:
Legend has it that one evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."
I'm still trying to figure this out, I don't even know why I told my friend I thought we were suppressing our natural animalistic instincts. Still trying to understand how we are made in the image of God, but we can never not sin. So are we animals blessed with the ability to think and so we desperately try to feed the good wolf, or are we beings that are naturally good but choose to feed the bad wolf?