Saturday, August 11

A stranger's neighbourhood

9 Aug
Sparklers~ 

Gary conducting his imaginary band

Rare photo of Meh on the Internet

Breathing fire

Cheap cheap sparklers, lousy, but still ok

When there's nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire~~~

Gary's super vintage french horn. I can only play 1 octave now ):

Photos that Oli took. SO Bishan is a weird place. Spent national day with Letti, Meh, Oli, and Gary. Headed to Mata Thai at Bishan Street 11 for some awesome Thai food. The whole way there the lads kept doubting my sense of direction. Thanks guys thanks. We did get a bit lost.. but we found our way there in the end and tht's all that matters. The lady at Mata Thai was so friendly and the whole place felt really homely <: We ordered so much food that our table had no more space. Their Tom Yum soup's quite different from outside, it's a lot sweeter but still mad spicy. We loitered around before buying 9 boxes of sparklers from a mama shop. It was my first time playing with sparklers~ We settled down at this circular open space to play with the sparklers and that's where things started to get really weird. This little girl with a china-doll hairstyle ran towards us screaming, "Orh hor. You all play with fire." Then she came to us lecturing us on fire safety. "You all cannot play with fire you know? Later here burn down. ... I want to play also. I want to play with fire." So of course we stopped playing with the lighter and the sparklers cos of this little kid here. We didn't want to accidentally injure her or anything. She stayed. For a long time. And we just looked at each other awkwardly. WE REALLY WANTED TO PLAY WITH THE SPARKLERS. She snatched my camera and played with the wind on the mini diana. I'm all for playing with kids but I was so scared when she started winding the camera that was already wound. Then she snatched my flash, tried to "light the fire", and then she took one step back. My heart stopped. She took another step back. At this point I was ready to grab her already. Then she ran away with my flash o.o I chased her around like an awkward chicken. She threw the flash on the ground, thank God for carpeted playgrounds, and ran away. So we started playing with sparklers again. And then she returned. Crazy girl really. I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who could see her. She was so creepy. 

When she finally left, getting yelled at by her mother, our next character came along to play. This Indian man who was drinking alone came over when he saw we had problems with the lighter. We couldn't really understand him, and he couldn't really understand us, but he helped us a great deal. He started giving us tips on how to light up the sparklers. Then he went on saying how in India, one sparkler was equivalent to a box of sparklers in Singapore. Later when Gary burned himself while trying to light up the sparklers, he came over, broke a pen, and tried to "heal" him. I was so sure he was going to burst his blister with a pen. Almost scared me to death. Apparently he was trying to spread ink on his blister to heal it. Communication is very important. Then he went on about how we're so "soft skin". Diss our sparklers then call us soft skin... but we really were la. A bit of fire also scared hahaha. We gave him the rest of our sparklers because we were leaving and he lit a whole box of them at one shot and swung them about. The little droplets of firehell was flying every whereeeee. Our own fireworks. Up close and dangerous. 

It was a weird night.