And no matter how much we hate ourselves sometimes, God still loves us the same.
Love is unconditional.
God is Love.
-
Most of the time when I get mad at someone, I end up crying in anger. But after the first 30 seconds, I realise I'm crying because I'm angry with myself. I start to hear the words exchanged in my head, I see how out of line I was. I wish so much that I could turn back time and react to the situation differently. I'm filled with regret and guilt, and not so much anger towards the other party. That is the worst feeling... feeling as though you have disappointed yourself, disappointed God. But the amazing thing I'm starting to finally accept is that God's love for us will never ever change. God knows us better than we know ourselves, so He sees flaws we try to conceal, He knows our weaknesses, He knows our sin.
"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
-Romans 5:8
He loves us even when we are so disgusted with ourselves, even when we feel worthless, even when we feel too ashamed to come to Him. And He understands our struggles, and He is patient. Love is patient.
If we know God, we should know Love. Because God is love. And if we know Love, we probably wouldn't get ourselves into a situation where we get so mad (like the above, meh.) Of course we are still struggling, and as humans we fail. But by the Grace of God, we can learn from our mistakes and work towards knowing Love and living in Love. Christ also teaches us how important Love is.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
-1 Corinthians 13: 1-7
At the end of the day, we have to take ourselves out from the equation and remember our purpose on earth. Love is not self-seeking. The love that Christ talks about is always love for others. It is never to benefit yourself, but it is to serve others and serve God.
"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him."
-1 John 4:16