"Isn't it strange how upset people get about a few dozen baseball players taking growth hormones, when we're doing what we're doing to our food animals and feeding them to our children?"
I never eat my veggies. Never. I am twenty one years old and I still don't eat my veggies. But in light of recent events (and reads), I'm considering... Going vegan. This has much to do with tumblr and Jonathan Safran Foer. Bold statement to make, I know. It's not entirely about sympathy towards the animals and our humanity, but there are many practical reasons that includes - what are we even eating? That birds grow to a full adult size in 39 days and are then slaughtered? 39! That's abnormal. And with that much growth in such a short period the birds suffer severe deformities. And the conditions they're put under before they get killed... the shit that they consume and live in. What the shit are we eating, really. Eating Animals paints an extremely vivid picture of farming conditions. Even if I don't go vegan or even vegetarian, I definitely cannot eat meat the same again. I know very little about farming, I know even less about the vegan lifestyle. But I'm reconsidering the way I've been living. Though God gave us the animals to eat and to feast with, the way we treat these animals today is a far cry from the way they were meant to be treated. "People are so removed from food animals now." Crap. Is this some declaration that CMM The Meat-Eater is going to stop eating meat forever? Hah. I don't know man. I had a serious conversation about chickens with nurul and jemtoh. There are more chickens walking the earth than there are humans. Isn't that horrifying?! I always wonder how many chickens get killed a day. One chicken rice stall can have up to 30 chickens a day (?). How many chicken rice stalls are there? The number is just mad. It's madnesss. I could copy and paste many quotes from the book but it really is nauseating to read. Even if we don't feel sad for the animals we will be so grossed out by what our food consumes and ultimately, what we consume. Will I die from eating mushrooms and tofu for the rest of my life because I can't handle veggies yet and meat is starting to make me sick? Nurul says I won't die. She also says that if I don't eat chicken, chickens will one day eat me. I love my friends. I won't go all activist or fullretard-nevergofullretard, but I'm trying to absorb what I've realised and see what I am supposed to do about it. It'll be real hypocritical of me to forget about all this and to sink my teeth into a Hoo-Ha steak, so I won't conclude at all. Just, Foer, what are you doing to me? I was going through the Eating Animals tag on Tumblr to see what other people have to say, and this is the most accurate things I've found.
fortmarine:
fortmarine:
“If after reading this book you are still eating animals, you are either heartless, or reckless…” (Foer, Intro, Eating Animals)
As I encountered this phrase in the introduction to the book, I was laughing to myself… Now, having more than 10 days pass since starting reading, not only I stopped eating meat, but also I cannot think about it as food anymore…
It's Day 4 for me and I'm almost done with the book. Day 4 and I had a hard time swallowing dinner at my Aunt's house because she cooked fried rice with meat inside. Day 4 and I don't want to continue reading it anymore but I have to because I hate to let a book go unfinished. This feels terrible. Truth hurts, truth hurts. I never expected to be so affected by a book. Next time you see a copy in Kino or if you're browsing through BookDepo, GET IT. Read it and see if you won't change a thing about how you eat. Time to fill the fridge with mushrooms and tofu.