Sunday, October 13

human nature

I can't remember where I read it from, but this week I stumbled upon the phrase if you keep repeating a mistake it stops becoming a mistake.

Sometimes we give ourselves too much leeway and we cover it with it is inevitable for man to sin or I'm human! I'm imperfect! What do you expect?

While we shouldn't guilt trip ourselves every time we sin because guilt is not productive and shame acts as a barrier between us and God, we should never make a mistake so often that we forget the weight of the sin. Christ came to set us free, not so that we would continue living a life of sin. Our "human nature" should never stop us from pursuing Christ-likeness. Though we are human and sin is part of who we are, we should never stop chasing after righteousness.

We remember that we are human, we are flesh, we are sinners. But we sometimes forget: We were all made in God's image, He breathed life into us, and we depend on His spirit and His strength. With all these, we are all capable of chasing after godliness. We are all capable of leading a righteous life, one that is pleasing to God. We are all capable of being salt of the earth, children of God, shining for His glory and drawing man to Him. We were made to be victorious! Free from bondage of sin that wears us down. Stop letting our nature be an excuse and start living intentionally, not by our own efforts but through prayer and strength from God. 

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come. The old has gone, the new is here!
2 Corinthians 5:17