Tuesday, October 22

Melancholic

Misery is manifold. The wretchedness of earth is multiform. Over-reaching the wide horizon as the rainbow, its hues are as various as the hues of that arch - as distinct too, yet as intimately blended. Over-reaching the wide horizon as the rainbow! How is it that from beauty I have derived a type of unloveliness? - from the covenant of peace, a simile of sorrow? But as, in ethics, evil is a consequence of good so, in fact, out of joy is sorrow born. Either the memory of past bliss is the anguish of to-day, or the agonies which are have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been. 
- Edgar Allan Poe

Feeling all too melancholic. I don't know whether to blame the sad tunes from Death Cab For Cutie, my sudden obsession with Edgar Allan Poe, or the fact that my judgment has been so clouded that I have allowed myself to rest on dark clouds and to ignore the lightning, the thunder, the warning signs. But I am strangely fond of this feeling. It brings to surface so many things new, exciting, foreign. I am comfortable with the unfamiliar, because the hands that hold me through this are the ones I know too well. There is no need to give this a name or to even linger, because we know it amounts to nothing in the end. But we enjoy the moment, what a cliché, but clichés have truth in them. To never think about the past, the future, and to sit and hope all the green lights turn red, to hope for the sky to remain dark always, to hope for the breeze to carry us home. We sit in silence hoping for the best, but once dawn arrives we wake up in different realities. As the street lamps flashed past and landmarks hurried across the window of the car, we were suddenly aware of how quickly time was passing. We sat very still and remained very quiet, as if time would stop too. And when I closed the door behind me and returned to my own bedroom, I knew it was going to be a hard week ahead. There is a difference between being in love with someone and being in love with company. You are addicted to the latter. And I, I'm just hoping we don't get into a car crash. Very rarely does a good morning follow after a good night. But what is necessary is a good bye.