Thursday, September 6

Good and faithful servant

You need to work hard. Why did it take me months to finally absorb this. God doesn't need lazy servants. Remember the parable of the talents?

Matthew 25:14-30

"For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settle accounts with them. And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, 'Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.' His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, 'Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.' His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, 'Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.' But his master answered him,  'You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have receive what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'"

The servant with one talent was scared. Like how I am scared. It was only on a long bus ride home, with on music and no secular books to distract me that I finally saw so clearly what I've been doing is plain slothful. Wasteful. Wasted youth yolo lololol. Okay hipster lines aside. God gives us talents/responsibilities to use them according to our ability. No one is called to do the same thing. No one is called to follow the footsteps of an elder, a popular Christian personality, a good role model (sibling). Everyone is different because God created us this way. And He doesn't judge us by what we produce as compared to others, but what we have produced from what He has given us. I was just reading Mere Christianity and Lewis brings up this point:

Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices. When a neurotic who has a pathological horror of cats forces himself to pick up a cat for some good reason, it is quite possible that in God's eyes he has shown more courage than a healthy man may have shown in winning the V.C. When a man who has been perverted from his youth and taught that cruelty is the right thing, does some tiny little kindness, or refrains from some cruelty he might have committed, and thereby, perhaps, risks being sneered at by his companions, he may, in God's eyes, be doing more than you and I would do if we gave up life itself for a friend.

God doesn't want us to hide our talents until He comes back. What's the point of giving them to us then? If you're like me, so fearful of "the next step" in life, ask yourself this: What is the point of living. If it is for Christ, then perhaps, to be a blessing to others? To lift Christ in your life so that God can draw men unto Himself? You can be practical and be a teacher in Singapore, and still touch lives. You can run for your dream job and be a counsellor in New Zealand, and still touch lives. You can just follow the waves and be a student in Perth, and still touch lives. Wherever you go, God can use you. But if you won't budge, if you're comfortable where you are, living for yourself, enjoying life to please yourself, how can you do God's work? How can you be a blessing to others if you only live/think for yourself?

Be brave. Step out. Walk on the water for Christ is always with you. Don't stay in the boat. When the disciples were in the boat and Jesus was walking on water, they were terrified and said, "It is a ghost!" But Jesus said, "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid." And Peter answered, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. This must have been a beautiful thing to witness. God calling you out to water, and you just obeying. Don't stay in the boat! Don't stay in the boat, asking questions but never daring to step out. You can ask all the questions you want, and Jesus can keep telling you, "Come," but if you remain inside the boat, what good are answers? If you choose to remain in the boat, what good are Jesus' answers going to do for you? We all know that after Peter stepped out, he saw the wind and got frightened and ended up sinking. He cried out, "Lord, save me." Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying ot him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

Step one: leave the sampan.
Step two: continue walking with Christ.

When we're studying, serving, working, and we feel so jaded. Remember who we're doing this for. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master. Carry out responsibilities to please God, to have Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."