Sunday, September 9

Sundays are precious


A time we set aside to come back to one place and worship our God together. For the longest time, Sundays were just that. Going to church, having a service, then leaving to meet my other friends from school. I remember when Waichan and Janet first came, they asked, "So, do you all usually eat lunch together after church?" There was about 5 of us then. We were hardly a community. Sunday friends. And now, looking back, I see how far we've come. How far God has brought us. Sundays are precious. We go for service, then have youth, then have lunch together. Sometimes cogy parents would take us out and treat us to lunch. This has become rather frequent recently. I used to feel so weird because they were paying. I mean, it's okay for the other youths because the ones treating are their parents. But who are they to me that they should pay for my lunch. Whenever we order drinks and the adults take their wallets out, I feel compelled to ask, "how many money?". Then plates of food, lots and lots of food, arrive at our table and the bill's already taken care of. I feel like I'm part of this wonderful family, with generous hearts that don't even ask for a "thank you" in return. But it's not just about the money. 

Number 30 (the Oh's place) and Bishan st11 (Waichan and Janet's) have become my home. Mother and Father Oh (Aunty NG and Uncle Jeff) are the most hospitable people I know. It's as if their doors are forever open to anyone. We go there for cell, we go there before prayer meeting, we go there when we just feel like nua-ing after service. Lina is always feeding us. OJX, when he decides not to act shy, will play his cheem music on the piano. OJK will serve us drinks. Aunty NG will talk about her game of scramble and how the only person she can beat is Kimby's dad. Uncle Jeff will sit around reading the papers and talking to the dogs. So many times we've walked into their house as if it were our own. The owners of the house were not even home. I left my bicycle there and Uncle Jeff told me he "opened ceremony" for my bike, meaning he was riding it around the neighbourhood. Today Aunty NG told me her cousins took my bike for a spin too. They always joke about how I should stay over to practise riding my bike. I don't know how to express my gratitude to this family. They make anyone feel so at home, so welcomed, so loved. Today Uncle Jeff revealed that he used to be into photography. He owns a Pentax and a Seagull! I spasmed at the table. They're the coolest. Seeing how loving and kind and generous they are, it's no wonder that the Oh brothers (trolling aside) are such gentlemen. 

And then there's Waichan and Janet, who've been like angels to cogy. They were so patient to teach me how to ride a bike. THREE TIMES. Because I'm really quite a loser when it comes to balance. So wise and forever guiding us, yet childlike enough to join in the trolling. Sundays are a lot more than going for service now. It's also about family. Nothing big happened today, I don't know what sparked this post. We just had lunch with the Oh parents and nua-ed at their place. Akif and I were cycling around their area and he ditched me a couple of times! The story he told the rest was a different one ): Now the boys think I flew off my bike and crashed. Ludfil and the Oh brothers were upstairs playing some game called LOL. Yvonne was studying outside and chatting with the Oh parents. Janet was learning Japanese. Waichan was probably sleeping on the couch. I'm very grateful for these guys. And not just them. Mothers like Ludfil and Akif's who always welcomes us to their place or to have a meal, mothers like Kimby's who always feeds us with exotic food and gives us advice on awkward things, mothers like Aunty Betty who feeds the youth every Sunday. God has been kind. Wish the sister were here.