They have made God's law their own, so they will never slip from His path.
Psalms 37:31
I love the NLT version of this psalm. The other versions have "the law of his God is in his heart", but NLT makes it so clear. To have God's word in our hearts is truly to make it our own. God's word is not something we observe, or we experience from a distance. It is not simply to obey. When we live under some authority or listen to instructions and abide, it gets tiring sometimes and we'd wonder why we do all this for. But to treat God's word as our own means to align our heart with God's. That His desires become what we ourselves desire. And His principles, to put it loosely, becomes our own principles. It doesn't become something we observe under instruction but something we truly believe in. And when we align ourselves to Him we will never slip from His path. The perfect path better than we could ever imagine or plan. As the new school term begins I want this to be my go-to verse, apart from John 3:30. So that I will never slip from His path. And when I thought of how I should apply this practically, I was reminded of another verse.
Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint about another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds all these in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
Colossians 3:12-17.