We all are familiar with these kind of days. You feel like hiding in a glass box where you watch the world go by, without it touching you or speaking to you. Where you see people sitting alone in coffee shops staring into space and you wonder what they're thinking of, or you see them frazzled with cups of espresso on the table until they eventually let their heavy heads fall unto their crossed arms on the table. Where you watch the nine-to-five white-collared workers go for their lunch breaks or smoke breaks and you see the cracks in their faces when they finally smile because they haven't been happy upstairs, or the blue-collared workers who sweat it out to bring home a measly income that hopefully multiplies after the conversion rate. Today is one of those days. Grabbed my bag, my favourite sweater, and headed straight for the CBD area to get some work done. I am literally sitting in a glass box in Tom N Toms waiting for the korean kid to come. The air smells like smoke but I like it very much. Might be the haze.
I'm trying to complete my essay on A&P, the story about the teenage grocer with a wild imagination. His mundane routine of punching numbers and bagging items is interrupted when three girls enter the store and stimulate his mind, filling his head with colourful descriptions. The story ends with this boy getting disappointed and realising how grey reality actually is. I'm not feeling blue or grey or sad or anything at all. It's just one of those days where I want to be alone in a glass box and watch people go by.