God answers prayers. Just last week my appeal for Literature was rejected and I was stuck in this grey area because I didn't know if I should have accepted it as God's will or to press on. I got loads of encouragement and advice from COG, and with their wisdom and prayers the whole process was made a lot more bearable. It is a testimony in itself that I survived three weeks with four extra classes, 10-hour days and sleepless nights.
It is such a Sunday School answer to say that God speaks through people, but He does! Of course always check your sources and make sure they are in line with His Word. When I couldn't decide if I should continue fighting for the subject, lukeiss reminded me that tenacity and grit builds character, and that this was the first real thing I had to fight for. And like the model bible study teacher that he is, he assured: if it is the will of God, you will pull through with His strength and His wisdom will be with you. It wasn't even about the outcome anymore, but knowing that God's strength would be in me through the process. And Aunty NG, being the model principal that she is, told me that my chances were extremely low and it would take a miracle for my appeal to go through. Regardless, she prayed for my request to be approved. Well the amazing thing was that my Lit profs started messaging me telling me how they'd help write in letters to all the relevant authorities. Thank God for favour. To this, the sister replied God will fight your battles for you, you need only be still.
And this morning, my appeal was approved. Even the office staff was shocked. When she asked what I did to make them change their minds, I just said that my profs made a lot of noise. But now I realise that I missed the opportunity to reveal God's grace. Had I responded with I prayed, who knows. I need to be more conscious about the God perspective.
Yesterday's sermon and bible study was the boost I needed. Being absent from prayer meeting and cell for so long has affected me a lot. From spending three out of seven days in church with a strong community and prayer to spending almost one sunday out of two weeks, man there really is a difference. I realise how dependent I was on accountability and support.
The takeaway from yesterday's sermon is that God is not a God of coincidence, but of perfection. The speaker brought up the story of Lazarus. Christ could have met him when he was ill and healed him, but because of His perfect timing, Lazarus was dead when Christ arrived. And so Christ performed the miracle of resurrecting the dead! We never know how God answers prayers, but we know that it is always to His perfect timing and perfect plan. Following this came a sense of peace knowing that all things will work out in God's time.
But the day I received my little miracle was also the day my patience was at its lowest. And as I tried to figure out why I was placed in a position like this, having my values challenged and all, again lukeiss reminded me to look at it through the eyes of God. That we are placed in specific places for specific reasons, and the people we interact with are intentional. Because God is a God of perfection. I always believed in this, that's why my few months in IJ was fruitful, why my time in QIITO was fruitful, why my tuition kids mattered, because I went in with the mindset that everything was God-planned. But I lost sight of that in uni.
And as yesterday's bible study taught us, we should never compromise God's word to fit the world. So a challenge is good because you know you are not conforming to the world. As to why we are challenged, Ephesians 6 explains
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
-
How exciting it is to be living in Christ. You witness the impossible, you find peace in times of uncertainty, you receive support through prayers and a loving community. God is a God of perfection and He deserves all praise, all glory, all worship. If I ever lose sight again, I know that God has strategically placed people in my life to bring me back.
I am also very thankful for the mcm kids who make time to meet over the weekends. Book-out days are precious and I just want you to know that your army talk is music to my ears because you are kind enough not to swear or make crude remarks in your conversation. Especially happy to have satisfied my sashimi craving with jemtoh because it is always good to have a friend say grace at the table.