Wednesday, February 4

Sometimes I wonder if I actually exist

It’s like my life isn’t real. I’m always the character actor in somebody else’s amazing life. I’m the hilarious bestfriend who’s there for the lead character, the aunt agony, the sister, the one who watches the one she loves fall for other people, the one people go to when they are heartbroken, the one who always appears but has very few speaking lines. I am Chris Messina in Away We Go, who gives the best speech in the entire movie and is basically what the whole movie is anchored on, yet, only a character actor, the bestfriend, the one who has the little screen time, whose name isn’t even on the poster. I am Abigail Breslin in (500) Days Of Summer, the sister who speaks sense into the main character and is basically what the whole movie is about, yet I am only recognised as the little sister. How can I be part of so many people’s main stories yet never given enough screen time. You call me, and I’m there. It’s as if my life does not exist outside of other people’s lives. It’s as if my life isn’t even real. Nobody stays to watch the end credits. They would miss my tiny name calling out to them: hello, i'm here.