Friday, July 31

All things expire

When you go to the bakery, don’t you check when the bread is going to expire? When you go to the grocery store, don’t you check to see when your poultry turns bad? Even canned goods, made to withstand time, expire. So you plan, you give yourself time and space to use these things before they go bad. But for us, what kind of planning is there? What do you plan for when you are blind to the expiration date slapped on to your bottom since the day you were formed? Study hard, get a job, get married. Make carbon copies of yourself as insurance for when you retire. Are we working towards a comfortable retirement? Is that when we will finally be happy and happily live? What if we died while studying. Or died while we worked. Or died on the way to the post office this morning. We are so blind to death. My expiration date is in front of me and I think now I finally see. I’m not going to work towards happiness or contentment. It’s now or never. It’s now. Always in the now.